1. Travel
Laura Sternberg

Detroit Memories: Bill Bonds, Marilyn Turner and John Kelly

By October 21, 2008

You know you're from Detroit if you remember Bill Bonds, Marilyn Turner and John Kelly as Channel 7's News Team. If it is just a vague memory, tune in tonight when WXYZ-TV celebrates 60 years on the air by having the three former newscasters return for a special newscast.

More Information:
Comments
October 21, 2008 at 7:20 pm
(1) Renee says:

Are you old enough to remember when John Kelly, Marilyn Turner, Jack LeGoff and Ray Lane all worked together on WJBK-TV 2 in Detroit? Or did I dream that?

October 31, 2008 at 2:33 am
(2) Sharla says:

No, you are not dreaming it. That is where all the above mentioned individuals got their start.

November 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm
(3) Helen says:

That is what you call a blast from the past…!!!!!
How about Rita Bell and the afternoon guy Bill …..I can’t remember his last name. I loved their movies !!!!

That was when life was simple and Detroit was wonderful….!!!!!

December 3, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(4) Nancy Woodward says:

That was Bill Kennedy who had the show in the afternoon. I think it was called Bill Kennedy’s Showtime, with Belevere Construction as the sponsor. Remember Rita Bell who had an affair with Mayor Cavanaugh (who was also voted father of the year) that year. I was just a kid at the time but I do remember that.

December 3, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(5) Dennis says:

By the way what ever happened to Marilyn Turner and John Kelly? No one seems to have any information on them except for the fact they live in Florida.

December 3, 2009 at 2:26 pm
(6) Dennis says:

What ever happened to Marilyn Turner and John Kelly? No one seems to know anything about them except for that they live in Florida?

December 13, 2009 at 10:58 am
(7) Timothy J. Gingrich says:

I used to work at WDEE (Storer Broadcasting – WJBK TV 2) and WOMC (Metromedia Broadcasting) in the early 70’s. I worked with Jerry Hodak, John Kelly and Marilyn when she was still a Turner and they were at Storer along with Van Patrick, Ray Lane and the Dean of Detroit Anchors – Jac LaGoff! Jac LaGoff and Joe Weaver were Detroit first Co-anchors. I had the extreme pleasure of working with these Broadcasting Pioneers and others Like Bob Bennett, Dean Miller, and others at Channel 4. As well and the complete broadcasting members that entertained and informed Detroiters in the early 70’s. My air name was Bob Sherman. and I was a Newsman\Anchor at WDEE and at WOMC an announcer late night, then I produced the Conrad Patrick Show and finally did that AM Drive show. I enjoyed reading some of the remarks about what was Detroit’s “Best Broadcasting Days.”

December 29, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(8) ELIZABETH ASHLEY says:

I always liked Kelly and Company, watched it
most week-days. I heard they
moved to FL, & often wonder if either of them
is still alive. John wasnt very well, when
their show was about to go off the air.
We heard they divorced after moving to FL (?)
What an era that was in Detroit.
I wrote to Bill Bonds once; he referred to
my handwritten letter on his Ch. 7 news program.
Yes, what a team they all were! I moved from MI in ’06
to a small town in south central Kentucky-so quiet here!
We bought a small Amish farm, & have horses & chickens.
e. t.

May 16, 2011 at 9:20 pm
(9) cindy says:

Anyone remember sir graves ghastly? The good old cartoons I miss too, Detroit, when things were relaxed

October 1, 2011 at 11:36 am
(10) Dane Russell says:

I”m a friend of Conrad Patrick and I once was in his studio at 800 CKLW. Please tell me what has happened to him over the years,and I would like to get in touch with Conny again,please.

November 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(11) C. Jones says:

Conrad Patrick died of cancer and a stroke on March 23, 1988 in Hollywood, Florida.

December 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm
(12) Carolyn Kingsley says:

How is Marilyn Turner and John Kelly doing in Florida? How is their health? What are they actually doing. They were two of my favorites.

March 25, 2012 at 8:17 am
(13) J J Rayman says:

Conrad and I were long time friends.He was best man at my wedding in 1963. I’M his daughter God Father(leslie) His former wife Kathleen lives in weston,FL(1994)His last girl friend Patti had lived in Naples,Fl(1995)His brother Gene retired in the 90,s The years prior to his death he battled alcoholism and depression.When he died in 1988 his ashes were scattered to the Sea from a pier in south FL.He loved the water.I still have a photo of him @CKLW doing the night show. Anyone may contact me at. JJRMI@ATT.NET

April 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm
(14) James says:

Sir Graves has passed away and was honored in an issue of Famous Monsters of Film land magazine a few years ago.