Updated May 22, 2012You know its spring and summer in the Metro-Detroit area when the farmers' markets start popping up in various neighborhoods, communities and cities. While they vary in size and product and market days, they offer a venue for local farmers and artisans to sell their fruits, vegetables and crafts. Here are just a few of the Oakland County Farmers' Markets:
Birmingham / Birmingham Farmers' Market:Birmingham has hosted its farmers' market since 2003. These days, the market boasts more than 70 booths filled with locally grown produce, garden plants and flowers, organics, and crafts.
- Location: Public Parking Lot 6 on the east side of North Old Woodward
- Season: Sundays, May through the end of October
- Hours: 9 AM to 2 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (248) 530-1200
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: The Birmingham Farmers' Market has an arts & crafts zone for kids and live musical performances. It also hosts several special events, including a Health & Fitness Event, Corn Festival, Harvest Festival, and End of Season Celebration.
Ferndale / Ferndale Farmers' Market:
- Location: Kulick Community Center on Livernois (near downtown Ferndale)
- Season: Saturdays starting in June
- Hours: 9 AM to 3 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (248) 494-8737
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: The market sometimes hosts children's activities and has a playground nearby. If the weather is bad, the market moves inside the Kulick Community Center.
- Notes: Most vendors don't accept credit cards.
Rochester / Downtown Rochester Farmers' Market:Downtown Rochester has hosted a farmers' market for over 10 years (since 2000). The market features products from 30 vendors, including baked goods, bedding plants, cider, dill, dried flowers, field-grown cut flowers, flowers, fresh produce, grapewine wreaths and planters, greenhouse-grown plants/flowers, herbs, honey, jams and jellies, maple syrup, salsas and salad dressings.
- Location: East Third and Water Streets (one block from Main Street)
- Day and Season: Saturdays, May through the end of October
- Hours: 8 AM to 1 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (248) 656-0060
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: The Farmers' Market hosts Green Living seminars throughout the season. Downtown Rochester also hosts a Green Living Festival each June. Best of all, the market hosts a master gardener each Saturday to answer home-gardening questions.
- Produce Availability Guide for Downtown Rochester's Farmers' Market
Royal Oak / Royal Oak Farmers' Market:The Royal Oak Farmers' Market is one of the Metro-Detroit's areas longest-running markets. It has been in operation since 1925. The market is also one of the biggest. It offers fresh fruit, vegetables, planting beds, herbs, hanging baskets, cut, potted and dried flowers, certified organic dried beans and cereals, eggs, honey, baked goods, home-made jams, preserves and jellies, fresh apple cider, holiday decorations, Christmas trees and wreaths, cheese, dill, evergreens, cut flowers, greenhouse-grown plants, and maple syrup.
- Location: Civic Center at the intersection of 11 Mile Road and Troy Street (two blocks east of Main Street)
- Season: Fridays, May through Christmas
Saturdays, all year round
- Hours: 7 AM to 1 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (248) 246-3276
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: Royal Oak also hosts a Flea Market with over 100 vendors of antiques and collectibles on Sundays from 8 AM to 3 PM.
- Produce Availability Guide for Royal Oak Farmers' Market
Waterford / Oakland County Market:Oakland County hosts a market with about 20 vendors in Waterford. Products available include vegetables, fruit, bedding plants, cheese, Christmas trees, cider, dill, evergreens, field-grown cut flowers, greenhouse products, herbs, honey, jams and jellies, maple syrup, plant food, insect and animal repellants, and soaps.
- Location: 2350 Pontiac Lake Road, Waterford
- Days and Season: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, May through Christmas Saturdays, after Christmas through April
- Hours: 6:30 AM to 2 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (248) 858-5495
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: Oakland County also hosts a Flea Market on Sundays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
- Produce Availability Guide for Oakland County Market.