Updated May 26, 2012You know its spring and summer in the Metro-Detroit area when the farmers' markets start popping up in various neighborhoods, communities and cities. While they vary in size, product and market days, they offer a venue for local farmers and artisans to sell their fruits, vegetables and crafts. Here are just a few of the Wayne County Michigan Farmers' Markets:
Detroit / Saturday Public Market:The Saturday public market at Detroit's Eastern Market is probably the area's oldest farmers' market in that it dates back to 1891. These days, it covers six city blocks and contains produce and meat products from Michigan, Ohio and Ontario, Canada. In other words, the fare comes from Michigan or within 100 miles of Eastern Market.
The Market also includes specialty foods items that are either processed locally or made with local ingredients like baked goods, dairy, eggs, jams, jellies, honey, syrup, sauces, coffee, meat, seafood and poultry. There are also a few stalls specializing in prepared food items, including hot food, sandwiches, salads, fruit, juice, and ice cream.
- Location: Downtown Detroit near the intersection of the Chrysler Freeway and Gratiot Avenue. Access is off of Mack Avenue.
- Season: Saturdays, all year
- Hours: 5 AM to 5 PM (April through December)
6 AM to 4 PM (January through March)
- Contact Phone Number: (313) 833-9300
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: In addition to the Saturday Public Market, Eastern Market also hosts Artisan Village on Saturdays from April to December (7 AM to 4 PM) and on Tuesdays from mid-July through October (11 AM to 6 PM). Artisan Village provides a venue for local artists to display and sell their original works, including paintings, pottery, florals, ceramics, wood products, clothing, candles, lotions, soaps, jewelry, and weaving. Note: The Wholesale Market runs from Monday through Friday (Midnight through 7 AM).
Garden City / Garden City Farmers' Market:The Garden City Farmers' Market features flowers, plants, seasonal fruits, vegetables and bakery goods. Vendors include Fusilier Family Farm & Greenhouse, Dutchmill Farms, Kapnick Orchards, and Springbrook Gardens Florist.
- Location: Garden City Center Plaza, NE corner of Ford and Middlebelt Roads
- Season: Wednesdays, late May through October
- Hours: 9 AM to 2 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (734) 422-4448
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: A Market Basket is made up on the last Wednesday of June, July, August, September and October to be given away by drawing.
Grosse Pointe Park / West Park Farmers' Market:The West Park market is approaching its 10th year and is now well known in the local community. It hosts 20-30 vendors, and their wares include farm produce, food, and gift items grown or produced in Michigan. In past years, this has included organic produce, cheese, baked goods, art, candles, jewelry, crafts, plants, cut flowers, and holiday decorations.
- Location: Kercheval and Lakepointe Streets, Grosse Pointe Park
- Season: Saturdays, mid-May through September
- Hours: 9 AM to 1 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (313) 822-2812 x202
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: The market often includes entertainment and hosts several special events throughout the season, including the West Park Farmers Market Taste Fest in July and Fall Festival in September. Note: Special Events usually occur on market Saturday, but the hours of operation may differ.
Plymouth / Farmers' Market:Plymouth's Farmers' Market features greenhouse products, including plants and flowers. The market also provides a venue for original artwork, clothing and handcrafted items, as well as fruits, vegetables, herbs, baked goods, eggs, jellies, candles, furniture, garden decoration, jewelry and birdhouses.
- Location: The Gathering in Downtown Plymouth
- Season: Saturdays, mid-May through October
- Hours: 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: All products are Michigan made. The market has a large selection of greenhouse products, including flats of garden flowers and plants.
Wyandotte / Wyandotte Farmers' Market:The downtown market provides a venue for fresh fruits, vegetables, plants, baked goods and dairy products.
- Location: Elm and First Streets, Downtown Wyandotte
- Season: Thursdays, mid-June through mid-October
- Hours: Noon to 7 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (734) 720-1447
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: The market hosts several special event days, including Opening Day at the Market with kids activities, Music at the Market with live music, Arts and Scraps with kids crafts, Farm to Fork with cooking demonstrations, Get Your Zucchinis! with creative use of Zucchinis in crafts and races, Get Your Ingredients! with a Cookoff, and Farmers Fair with country-themed activities and entertainment. The market also partners with Project Produce to give customers an opportunity to donate produce to needy families.