The celebration that is the Woodward Dream Cruise has grown well beyond its original eight-mile route down Woodward Avenue. These days, there is a host of auto shows and auto-related events throughout Southeast Michigan in August thanks to the promotional help of the MotorCities National Heritage Area and Autopalooza. Between these events and the auto-related events sponsored by the communities along Woodward Avenue, a Woodward Dream Cruise Events Calendar continues to be a necessity in 2012.
- July 14th from Dearborn to Wayne: Cruisin' Michigan Avenue (7/14)
- July 25th at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills: Cruise Night / Elegant Design
- July 28th to 29th in Plymouth: RM Auctions' Vintage Motor Cars (7/28) and Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's (7/29)
- August 4th in downtown Mount Clemens: 21st Annual Car Cruise
- August 5th in Clinton Township: Clinton Township Gratiot Cruise
- August 10th to 12th starting on Belle Isle, crossing the state, and ending in Dearborn: Michigan Gumball Rally
- August 12th in Rochester: Rockin' Rods n’ Rochester
- August 12th at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn: Mustang Memories All-Ford Car Show and Swap Meet
- August 14th to 18th in Flint, Grand Blanc and Burton: Back to the Bricks Cruise Weekend
- August 16th to 18th in Ferndale: Ferndale Woodward Dream Cruise
- August 17th to 18th in Bloomfield Township: Superformance Dream Drive (8/17) and Bloomfield Township Classic Car Show (8/18)
- August 17th to 19th in Brooklyn: NASCAR Weekend
- August 18th from Ferndale to Pontiac: Woodward Dream Cruise
- August 22nd at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills: Cruise Night / Moparized Metal / Classic Cruiser
- August 24th to 26th in Belleville: Cruzin’ the Park Swap Meet and Car Show
- August 26th from Plymouth to Dearborn: Cruisin' Hines in classic cars and hot rods
What Happened to the Downtown Detroit Events?
The Cruisin’ MotorCities Summer Festival -- a program of the MotorCities National Heritage Area -- successfully expanded the celebration of all things auto in 2008 by scheduling a week of events in downtown Detroit leading into the Woodward Dream Cruise. One of the biggest events to fall under its umbrella of promotion was Detroit’s Festival of Speed and Style. Unfortunately, the downtown festival could not be repeated because of the economy.