If you're new to the area or recently single, finding a way to meet people may be a mystery. You can head to the local coffee house or check out a list of resources geared specifically to singles in Detroit, including social clubs, church groups, travel planners and event-listing newsletters. The Detroit Singles Guide will help get you started.
There are several social clubs/groups located within the Metro-Detroit area. While they all host events for singles, some of the groups are geared toward a particular interest or age group.
Church and Religious Groups
Several churches across the Metro-Detroit area host singles groups. While many are geared toward helping singles meet other people within their faith, others are non-denominational.
- Presbyterian: Single Place at Northville First Presbyterian Church
- Nondenominational Christian: Axiom, Elevate and Second-Half Life groups are sponsored by the Kensington Community Church, which has locations in Birmingham, Clinton Township, Lake Orion, Rochester Hills, and Troy.
- Catholic Sponsored Nondenominational Divorce Support: Bethany Dances are hosted by Bethany of Southeast Michigan at six locations throughout the Metro-Detroit area
- Catholic Singles Club for Professionals: Catholic Alumni Club of Detroit
Event Listing Services
Several websites and newsletters cater to Detroit-area singles by providing information about upcoming events. Here are just a few:
- Joe Knopp compiles information about upcoming Events, Activities, Fun Stuff To Do for singles in Detroit. The newsletter is distributed via e-mail. To get on the distribution list, e-mail Joe.
- Gray'n'White is a business computing website that hosts a weekly listing of the singles events hosted by four organizations in Detroit, including Successfully Single, Somerset Ski & Golf, Bethany, and Sailing Singles.
- Meetups provides a comprehensive list of events for all of its singles groups in Detroit.
- The Detroit Free Press compiles a list of events for singles in its Lifestyles section.
Online Social Groups Specific to Metro Detroit
The hosting service may be national, but the group and its members are all from the Metro-Detroit area. If you want to go virtual to find a like-minded group of local singles, check out group listings on Meetup and/or Yahoo Groups. You may be able to define groups further by interests and/or neighborhoods. Note: You may have to wade through a lot of hookup groups, so be sure to check out each group's summary, prior posts and most recent activity.
Here's a smattering of some of the groups listed:
Plenty of groups and clubs center around a particular sport or interest but target Detroit-area singles for participation:
Other Ideas: Where to Meet Singles
Sometimes, meeting other single people happens by just getting out and getting active in the community. In addition to doing things like volunteering, taking a course or joining a business networking group, check out the list of places to meet singles by About.com's Guide to Dating.