It's never too early to start planning the weekend. Listed below are some of the things to do this weekend in Detroit, including events, festivals & craft shows, concerts, shows, plays, musicals, sports, trade shows and expos. For more information about any of the events listed below, check out the link listed with each category.
There are several holiday events scheduled over the long, Thanksgiving weekend, including:
- Birmingham's Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Thanksgiving Throwdown with Megadeth at The Fillmore
Thursday, Thanksgiving Day:
- Detroit's Turkey Trot and America's Thanksgiving Parade
- Ford Field Football: Detroit Lions vs. Green Bay Packer
- Grosse Pointe's Santa Claus Parade
- Howell's Fantasy of Lights Parade
- Mt. Clemen's Macomb Counthy Santa Parade
- Ypsilanti's Starlight Spree and Tree Lighting
- Detroit's A Day in Parade Land
- Milford's Christmas Parade
While a lot of the events and activities scheduled this weekend revolve around Thanksgiving and the upcoming holiday season, there are also several concerts scheduled. One of the biggest is Elton John and His Band at the Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit. Other concerts include:
twenty one pilots at The Fillmore in downtown Detroit
Mike Epps and Straight No Chaser at The Fox Theatre in downtown Detroit
The Life & Times Tour: Ritz, Snow, Jarren Benton at Harpos in Detroit
Elton John and His Band at Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit
Natives of the New Dawn at the Majestic / Magic Stick in Midtown Detroit
Uncle Kracker and Lupe Fiasco at The Royal Oak Music Theatre
Taking in a show is another option over the holiday weekend. For instance, the ballet The Nutcracker is showing at the Detroit Opera House, and the Jeff Daniel's play The Vast Difference at the Purple Rose Theatre in Chelsea.
Several events are scheduled at expo centers throughout the Metro-Detroit area, including a Health & Beauty Expo; Sports, Cards, Antiques & Collectibles Show; Michigan Antique Arms Collectors; Mom-to-Mom Sale; and Michigan State Numismatic Society Annual Fall Convention & Coin Show.
There are several home games scheduled over the holiday weekend:
- The Palace of Auburn Hills hosts several basketball games over the weekend, including the Detroit Pistons vs. Chicago Bulls, L.A.Lakers, and Philadelphia Sixers.
- Ford Field in Detroit hosts the Detroit Lions vs. Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving Thursday.
- Joe Louis Arena in Detroit hosts the Detroit Red Wings vs. Boston Bruins.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor hosts the U of M Wolverines vs. Ohio State.
- Spartan Stadium in East Lansing hosts the MSU Spartans vs. Minnesota.