Jazz Joints, Clubs, Restaurants
It's not all about the food:
- Sweet Georgia Brown on Brush in Greektown features gourmet Southern/soul food. It also has DJ nights, as well as live jazz music. It offers a great Sunday brunch. The crowd is mainly made up of professionals and the menu is expensive.
- Century Grille on Madison Avenue is part of the Historic Gem & Century Theatres. It offers American cuisine and is convenient not only to the Gem, but the Detroit Opera House.
- The Whitney Restaurant on Woodward Avenue offers traditional American cuisine in a fine-dining atmosphere. The real allure of the restaurant is its historic mansion location.
Tried and TrueUnique, fun and/or convenient, there are several restaurants in Detroit that are worth checking out:
- Fishbones Rhythm Café on Monroe Avenue in Greektown features Cajun/Creole cuisine. It has a great atmosphere, an enormous water fall, live bands and a great Sunday brunch.
- Loco Bar & Grill in Greektown is a Tex Mex restaurant with a full bar.
- Andiamo Detroit Riverfront is located in the Renaissance Center and overlooks the Detroit River. It features Northern Italian cuisine.
- Tom’s Oyster Bar on Jefferson Avenue features seafood and is well known for its roof deck in the summer months.
- Small Plates on Broadway Street in the theatre district is a Tapas Bar. In other words, appetizer-portioned dishes are ordered for the table.
- Wolfgang Puck Grille is located in the casino at the MGM Grand Detroit. The swanky restaurant offers a wide variety of American cuisine, from steaks to burgers.