Choose the type of license plate you want.
Aside from your choice of design, the type of plate you choose affects the number of characters you'll have to express yourself, as well as the fee you'll pay.
- The standard Blue Bar plate has seven (7) characters.
- The Spectacular Peninsula plate has seven (7) characters and costs an addition $5.
- A Veteran or Military Service plate has six (6) characters and costs an additional $5.
- A University or Special Cause Fundraising plate has six (6) characters and costs an addition $35.
Note: Personalized or vanity license plates are not available for trailers or trailer coaches. Veteran, Military Service, University and Special Cause Fundraising plates are not available for motorcycles or commercial vehicles.
You can use letters, numbers and spaces but no symbols or offensive language. The plate has to be approved by Department of State.
Check to see if your choice is available.
The State of Michigan website allows you to check for availability before application.
Apply for personalized plate.
While you can check for availability online, your application must be made at a Secretary of State branch office.
Pay the appropriate fee.
Personalized plates require fees in addition to your yearly registration fee:
- $8 first month, $2 a month thereafter
- + $5 for Spectacular Peninsula Plate
- + $5 for Veteran or Military Service Plate
- + $35 for University or Special Cause Fundraising Plate
- + $5 second plate
Note: Michigan only requires a plate on the rear of the vehicle.
- Renewal: There is a $15 renewal fee in subsequent years (plus a $10 university or special cause donation).