Updated June 26, 2014
Since the Film Incentive Package passed in 2008, celebrity sightings are plentiful. In fact, several locations within the Metro Detroit area are recognizable in movies with budgets both big and small. Here are just a few of the movies filmed or filming in Detroit as of August, 2010.
- The horror flick Scream 4 (2011) with Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox and David Arquette will have Sidney facing the Ghostface Killer. The movie filmed in July and August at several locations, including the Burns Park area in Ann Arbor, Livonia, the New Chapter Bookstore & Bistro is Northville, Hutzel Women’s Hospital in Detroit, and Woodworth Middle School in Dearborn. Plymouth is standing in for the fictional town of Woodsboro. Note: The movie’s working title in Michigan is Project Z.
- The comedy LOL: Laughing Out Loud (2011) starring Miley Cyrus and Demi Moore will be partially filmed in Detroit at locations including Birmingham (8/2) and Dearborn (8/11) .
- The robot-boxing drama Real Steel (2011) stars Hugh Jackman. The movie filmed over the summer in Oxford and Mason, as well as the Detroit Fire Department Headquarters and the Nicholson Terminal & Dock.
- The third installment of the comedy franchise A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas stars John Cho, Kal Penn and Neil Patrick Harris. It was filmed in West Bloomfield, the Somerset Collection and the Detroit Opera House.
- The biography Machine Gun Preacher is about a tough biker guy who becomes a champion for Sudanese children and stars Gerard Butler and Michelle Monaghan. It was filmed at several locations over the summer in Melvindale, as well as Red Holman Pontiac, Schoolcraft Community College in Garden City and Stockdale’s Bar on Michigan Avenue in Wayne.
- The drama The Mechanic (2010) is about an assassin and his apprentice. The Mechanic was partially filmed in Detroit and stars Jason Statham, Donald Sutherland and Ben Foster.
- The comedy 30 Minutes or Less (2011) filmed over the summer in the Grand Rapids area and Ludington. It is about a pizza delivery driver kidnapped and forced to rob a bank.
- The mystery The Double (2011) stars Odette Yustman, Martin Sheen, Richard Gere and Topher Grace. The movie is about a retired CIA operative paired with a young FBI agent and is expected to film in Detroit.
- The comedy Cedar Rapids (2011) filmed in Ann Arbor and Plymouth. The movie stars Ed Helms and Anne Heche and is about a man from a small town in Wisconsin who heads to the big city (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) for an insurance convention.
- The horror film Office Paranormal (2012) stars Nicolas Cage, Mickey Rourke, Eva Mendes and Val Kilmer (among others). The movie will be partially filmed in Michigan.
- The thriller This Must Be the Place (2011) filmed at Detroit Metro Airport and elsewhere in Michigan. It stars Sean Penn and Frances McDormand and is about a retired rock star hunting for a Nazi war criminal.
- The sports drama Touchback (2011) starring Kurt Russell is scheduled to film in Coopersville on August 13th, 16th and 17th.
- The thriller Salvation Boulevard (2011) filmed in Ann Arbor and Dearborn. The movie stars Jennifer Connelly, Marisa Tomei, Pierce Brosnan and Ed Harris. It is about a fundamentalist mega-church whose members go to extremes to protect their pastor.
- The thriller Gun (2011) is set in the world of drug dealing. It stars Val Kilmer and 50 Cent. Filming took place in Grand Rapids and Hangar 42 Studios in Grand Rapids.
- The thriller St. Vincent (2011) filmed in July in Detroit. It stars Maria Bello, Pierce Brosnan, Giovanni Ribisi and Billy Bob Thornton. The movie is about a hitman posing as a priest.
- The romantic comedy Vamps (2011) starring Alicia Silverstone and Sigourney Weaver filmed in August. Its “base camp” is at Cass and 2nd in Detroit.
- The drama Keep Coming Back (2011) is directed by William H. Macy and stars Topher Grace, Milla Jovovich and Steve Buscemi. It is about a young man who joins an Alcoholics Anonymous group to get closer to a stripper. It has locations in East Lansing.
- The thriller Vengeance: A Love Story (2010) stars Samuel L. Jackson, Abigail Breslin and Heather Graham. It is about the consequences to a family after an act of violence. It is expected to film in Michigan.
Rumored: The third installment of the horror franchise Hostel 3
- The drama War Flowers (2011) starring Tom Berenger and Christina Ricci
- The romance Holly, Jingles and Clyde 3D (2011) starring Ashley Tisdale
- The comedy The Last Best Place (2011)
- The war thriller Return to the Hiding Place (2011)
- The romance Shrinking Charlotte (2010)
- The sports drama Things Fall Apart (2011) starring Ray Liotta and 50 Cent