Last Update: April 18, 2009
Michigan’s Film Incentives Package has brought more than Clint Eastwood and George Clooney to the Metro Detroit area. It is also bringing a movie-making infrastructure, including several movie studios in the Metro Detroit Area:
- Allen Park: Unity Studios
- Detroit: Detroit Center Studios
- Pontiac: Motown Motion Pictures Studios
- Plymouth: Stardock Systems Inc. will receive a MEDC-approved tax credit for an expansion. Stardock is a PC video and computer gaming company. The expansion will cost $900,000 and create 53 new jobs.
- Wixon: Warner Brothers have shown interest in Ford’s former idle-assembly plant in Wixom. Executives from the company, which is based in Los Angeles, scouted the property last summer for use as a studio.
Elsewhere in Michigan
- Lansing: City Center Studios
- Manistee: 10 West Studios is being developed in seven former boat-storage buildings at Seng's Marina on Manistee Lake, providing 150,000 square feet for studio space. Harold Cronk is a part owner.
- Muskegon: WaterMark Studios
- Southwestern Michigan, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids: Last summer, V-One Entertainment Group out of Los Angeles announced a three-part plan toward creating a film-industry infrastructure in Michigan. Since that time, Great Lakes Studios LLC was created and is working on plans to build a 30,000-square-foot soundstage and editing facilities in southwestern Michigan. V-One also has plans to create a production and media facility in Ann Arbor and a soundstage in Grand Rapids.
Filmmaking studios expected to thrive in West Michigan by Eric Gaertner / The Muskegon Chronicle (3/12/09) (as posted on MLive.com)
- Movie studios to be built in Michigan / The Ann Arbor News (8/27/08) (as posted on MLive.com)