Detroit Neighborhoods and Cities
The result of the ebbs and flows of population throughout the area is a thriving cultural landscape made up of many unique and exciting neighborhoods and cities, each of which has its own history, identity and make up.
City of Detroit
Downtown Detroit is the hub of the Metro Detroit Area. Its center borders the Detroit River and its streets stretch out like spokes into the surrounding suburbs.
- Top Detroit Attractions
- Photo Tour and History of Old Tiger Stadium
- Information and History: Greektown
- Detroit Landmarks and Buildings
- Downtown Detroit Transportation
- Profile of Detroit's Riverfront Redevelopment Project: RiverWalk
- Detroit Area Casino Hotels
- Guide to Downtown Detroit Restaurants
- Profile of Detroit's Comerica Park
- Pictures of the New Detroit Institute of Arts
Downtown Detroit sits in Wayne County. The county encompasses approximately 672 square miles and contains a wide variety of neighborhoods, cities and townships, including Grosse Pointe to the east and Plymouth/Canton to the west. Its northern boundary is 8 Mile Road.
- List of Restaurants for Breakfast or Sunday Brunch in Wayne County
- Profile of Henry Ford Museum
- Profile of Greenfield Village
- Photo Tour of Far West Suburbs
- Photo Tour of the City of Plymouth, Michigan
- Profile of Plymouth City/Township
- Profile of Canton's Cherry Hill Village
- Store Review: Canton IKEA
- Profile of Westland Center Mall in Detroit
- Highlights from Plymouth's 2008 Ice Sculpture Festival
One of the wealthiest counties in the country, Oakland County is home to automation alley and several Fortune 500 companies. It borders Wayne County to the north at 8 Mile Road.
- List of Restaurants for Breakfast or Sunday Brunch in Oakland County
- List of Restaurants in Ferndale and Royal Oak
- Profile of the Detroit Zoo
- Photo Tour of Far West Suburbs Detroit
- Photo Tour of Ferndale Michigan
- Photo Tour of Royal Oak Michigan
- Profile of Ferndale Michigan
- Photo Tour of The Village of Rochester Hills Mall
- Profile of Twelve Mile Crossing at Fountain Walk
- Profile of The Village of Rochester Hills Mall
- Profile of Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi
- Profile of Northland Center in Southfield
- Profile of the Somerset Collection in Troy
- Profile of Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills
- Top Restaurants in Southfield
- History and Information About the Woodward Dream Cruise
The smallest of the three counties that make up the Metro Detroit Area, Macomb is located northeast of Wayne County. It is bordered on the east by Lake St. Clair and the west by Oakland County. While its economy is traditionally based on manufacturing, its service sector is growing.
- Photo Tour of Mount Clemens
- Walking Tour of the Mall at Partridge Creek
- Profile of The Mall at Partridge Creek in Clinton Township
- Profile of Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights
- Spa Review: Salon Maison Rouge Mt. Clemens
The Detroit Metro Area is generally considered to include Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties. As the suburbs grow, however, they encroach on counties lying adjacent. Of course, several cities and tourists attractions are located nearby and serve as points of destination for Metro Detroiters.