Mother's Day is right around the corner, so it's time to start brainstorming for gift ideas and it is doubtful that candy alone will suffice. When in doubt, go the extra mile to get her a nice gift for the occasion. In the Detroit Guide to Mother's Day Gift Ideas, you'll find several categories of gift suggestions, as well as a list of shopping venues in the Metro-Detroit area:
- Spa treatment or massage:
- Woodhouse Day Spa, Detroit
- Salon Maison Rouge, Mt. Clemens
- Fundamentals Relation Spa, Ferndale
- SpaFinder gift certificate (Compare Prices)
- Brunch -- Mom just wants to spend time with you, so take her out to one of the many special brunches or Mother's Day dinners offered by local restaurants.
- Jewelry, handbags and apparel -- Mom would love any of these items if they are made in Detroit and/or Michigan.
- Movies, Music and Books -- Whether mom is a quintessential Detroiter or simply home sick after living out of town for too long, there are a lot of great Detroit-inspired movies, music and books to choose from.
- Albums/Music by Detroit Bands and Musicians -- The music of home-grown musicians makes a great Mother's Day gift. The list of 20 recently-released albums includes links to CDs and MP3s for purchase. Some of the links include free downloads.
- Food -- Think Detroit and food in the same sentence and certain tastes and memories come to mind. Detroit is home to Morley's Candy, Sander's Hot Fudge, Faygo Pop and Better Made Potato Chips. If you were raised at the mall like many Detroiters, a Hudson's Maurice Salad or Famous Chicken Pot Pie were weekly staples. Gift baskets from any of these food manufacturers would make a great gift for a mom born and/or raised in the area.
- Local Getaway -- An evening getaway is a great gift for mom. Whether her pleasure is a luxury hotel, quaint inn or unique bed & breakfast, you will find an over-night getaway in the Metro-Detroit area. All of the options listed are three stars or above.
- List of Stores Featuring Detroit and/or Michigan Products -- Several local stores base their business on Detroit and/or Michigan-inspired merchandise. Whatever your pleasure, there are products aplenty that reflect the area. The list includes brick-n-mortar stores located in the Metro-Detroit area.
- List of Metro-Detroit Shopping Malls and Centers -- One of the nation's first regional shopping centers was developed in Southfield. From then on, malls have just gotten bigger and better. They now dot the Metro-Detroit area.
- Profiles and/or reviews of relatively new store chains in the Metro-Detroit area: