Beijing will be swimmer Kara Lynn Joyce’s second Olympics. She has two silvers from competing in the Athens Olympics – her first international competition. This time around, she will compete in the 4x 100m freestyle relay, replacing Dara Torres, and the 50m freestyle, replacing Jessica Hardy.
- 4x100m freestyle relay
- 50m freestyle
- Grew up in Ann Arbor
- Attended Pioneer High School, just across the street from the University of Michigan Stadium
- Trained with Jon Urbanchek in Michigan
October 25th, 1985
- Gold medal at 2007 World Championships in 800m freestyle relay
- Silver medal at 2007 World Championships in 400m freestyle relay
- Bronze medal at 2005 World Championships in 400m freestyle relay
- Silver medal at 2004 Olympics in 400m freestyle relay
- Silver medal at 2004 Olympics in 400m medley relay
Joyce was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Ann Arbor, where she graduated from Pioneer High School. She now lives and goes to college in Athens, Georgia, where she studies Speech Communications. She lives within an hour’s drive of her two brothers, who share her love of swimming and live in Atlanta. Her coach is Jack Bauerie.