The University of Michigan Wolverines have appeared in the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament on 24 occasions (three less than Michigan State) and finished in the top eight on 12 occasions. Michigan in the "March Madness" Basketball Tournament won the Championship only once: in 1989 under Coach Steve Fisher. Michigan just recently returned to the tournament after a decade-long dry spell (1998 to 2009).
- Michigan won the Championship in 1989.
- Michigan came in 2nd in the tournament on five occasions.
- Michigan came in 3rd in the tournament once.
- Michigan played in the Final Four 7 times.
- Michigan made it to the Elite Eight five additional times (12 total): 2013, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1989, 1977, 1976, 1974, 1966, 1965, 1965 and 1948
- Michigan ranks 10th in the nation for winning percentage while at the tournament (1948-2012).
- Michigan played in the tournament in 1948, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- In 1995, Michigan had one of the lowest winning percentages of an at-large team in tournament history (at least since 1985): .567.
- First-seed Michigan lost to eighth-seed Villanova in the second round in 1985, 59-55.
- Second-seed Michigan lost to a seventh-seed Iowa State in 1986 in the second round.
- Third-seed Michigan lost to 11th-seed Loyola Marymount in the second round in 1990.
- Michigan upset first-seed Ohio State in 1992.
- Fourth-seed Michigan lost to 13th-seed Ohio in the first full round in 2012.
- Fourth-seed Michigan beat 3rd-seed Florida in the Elite Eight in 2013. The score was 79-59.
Additional Information and Stats:
- Michigan has been a number one seed twice.
- Michigan has won 48 games and lost 23 during its history in the tournament (1957-2013)
- Michigan's winning percentage in the tournament is .655. (through 2012)
- Leading into the 2013 Tournament, Michigan's tournament-game record was 43 wins and 22 losses.
- Michigan’s Glen Rice ranks fifth nationally for the most points scored in the tournament by an individual player (through 2012). He played from 1986 to 89.