Summer is officially unveiled at the 54th Annual Target Fireworks on Monday, June 25th in downtown Detroit.
Of course, Detroit's celebration of all things summer includes more than just one night of pyrotechnics. Detroit also hosts three days of fun and games and music leading up to the fireworks display. River Days takes place from June 22nd to June 24th, 2012. Admission is $3.
Over 75 street performers and musical acts will perform over the course of the weekend. Some of the bigger names to grace the three stages at the festival include Kansas, Boyz II Men, The Whispers, Thornetta Davis, The Howling Diablos, The Reefermen, and The Marvins.
Events and Activities
In addition to live music, River Days will also include the following attractions:
- Tuskegee Airmen
- Friday Bike Night
- Kids Zone
- Department of Natural Resources Activity: An outdoor activities zone that will allow festival goers to try archery, geocaching, biking, kayaking, and more
- Detroit Historical Museum Activities: Childrens activities and stage performances
- Buskers and street performers: Aerialists, magic acts and dance groups
- Sand Sculptures
- Pooch-a-Palooza Pet Walk
- Jet Ski Demonstrations
- Taste of Detroit Food Court
- Diamond Jack River Boat Tours
- Carnival Rides
- Tall Ships
- Coast Guard Cutter & Search and Rescue Demos
- 5K Run
- Detroit River Art Scape: An art competition
Detroit ends the festival with a big bang - literally - at the 54th annual Target Fireworks Display that features over 10,000 pyrotechnics. You can watch the fireworks by staking out a location along the Detroit RiverWalk or head to the Official VIP Rooftop Party.
The fundraising party takes place on the roof of the Miller Parking Garage, just west of the Renaissance Center. It includes games, entertainment and food.
- The fireworks will be broadcast locally on WDIV, channel 4 at 8 PM. News/Talk 760 WJR will simulcast during the event.
- The Parade Company website
- List of other fireworks displays in the Metro-Detroit area throughout the summer
- Detroit River Days website
- Other Things to Do with Kids over Summer Vacation