From the article: Metro Detroit Events and Things to Do in April, 2013
If you know of an event that is not already listed, add information about it here. Share Your Event
Fiesta Boricua Fundraiser
- Come join us as we raise funds towards the Puerto Rican Festival. Saturday, April 20, 2013 5pm-11pm Live music, dancing and food Dance lessons from 5pm-6pm $10 cover for ages 16 & older Puerto Rican Club of Detroit 8050 W. Fort St. Detroit, MI 48209 313-718-1772
The Dawn Farm Fourth Annual Ride for Rec
- The Ride for Recovery is a family fun and fitness event and a fundraiser for Dawn Farm. There are bike rides along scenic, country roads and through a local Metro park from 10 to 100K; 5/10K runs/walks; activities for children, tours of the farm and animals and a "Recovery Celebration" lunch. The event is endorsed by the Michigan Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness, Health and Sports. The Ride for Recovery provides an opportunity to support effective, compassionate, hope-filled care for people with addictions. This event is usually held the last Sunday in April. See http://www.dawnfarm.org/upcomingevents/ride-for-recovery for information!
VegMichigan's VegFest is Coming!
- Sun, Apr 29, 2012 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM Suburban Collection Showplace 46100 Grand River Avenue Novi, MI 48374 VegFest features tasty vegan food from dozens of area restaurants and national samples, along with exhibitors, prizes, food demos, children's activities and talks on the health, environmental and ethical benefits of a plant-based diet. Featured presenters include U.S. Humane Society President & CEO Wayne Pacelle, "Comfortably Unaware" author and sustainability activist Dr. Richard Oppenlander, four-time NBA champion and devoted vegan John Salley, Medical Director of Wellness Programs, Preventive Cardiology and Cardiac Rehabilitation at Detroit Medical Center Dr. Joel Kahn, former VegNews columnist Dr. Kerrie Saunders, "Vegetarian Traditions, Favorite Recipes From My Years at the Legendary Inn Season Cafe" author Chef George Vutetakis, "raw chef to the stars" (and former Detroiter) Jason Wrobel and more to be announced. More info at www.vegmichigan.org
- —Guest jcorcoran
Uncorked for Canines (Wine Tasting)
- Waggin' Tails Dog Rescue invites you to our 4th annual wine-tasting fundraiser, "Uncorked For Canines," brought to you by Constellation Wines, U.S. Thursday, April 19 from 7 - 10PM at Genitti's at 108 East Main Street in downtown Northville. Attendees will have an opportunity to sample distinctive wines and enjoy a light meal with desserts, then bid on live and silent auction items - all while helping a worthy cause. Waggin' Tails Dog Rescue is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit rescue group. All of our dogs live in foster homes where they receive individual attention, medical care, and a place to regain their ability to bond with people, if needed. Tickets are $35 pre-sale (or $40 at the door). More info: http://www.waggintailsdogrescue.com/specialevents.html#wine
NSP2 Homebuying Program - Highland Park
- On Saturday, April 21st, from 10 am to 2pm at Considine Recreation Center, located at 8904 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Premier Realty will host a free event on a first-come, first served basis for interested buyers. “We are excited to be part of such an exciting and meaningful effort to increase value while creating sustainable neighborhoods that are ready to adapt to new opportunities,” says LaSchell Steward of Premier Realty, one of the Real Estate companies selected to present these homes to potential residents. As homebuyers search for a step up in living, $225,000 is being invested in each of these 3-4 bedroom and energy efficient homes that are being sold for between $40,000 and $60,000! Interested buyers are encouraged to attend a Free-to-the-Public pre-qualifying event where they can visit with Housing Counselors, Credit Repair Specialists, Lenders and receive first-hand information about the homes. For more information call 248.876.3036.
- —Guest MichaelBattle
The Detroit Derby Girls Present:
- The D-Funk Allstars and the Grand Prix Madonnas face off on Saturday, April 7 at the Detroit Masonic Temple. All tickets $15, up to two children under 12 admitted free with each adult admission. Doors open at 6 p.m., bout starts at 7. Kid Friendly: Yes! Dog Friendly: No Non-Smoking: Yes! Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!
Allee Willis' "Last Call" @ Mumford High
- Mumford graduate Allee Willis is a GRAMMY, Emmy, Tony and Webby award-winning and nominated songwriter, artist, multi-mediaist, collector, and party-thrower whose songs have sold over 50 million records, including Earth, Wind & Fire's “September” and “Boogie Wonderland,” The Pointer Sisters’ “Neutron Dance,” Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield's "What Have I Done to Deserve This?,” the theme from Friends (“I'll Be There For You”), and the Broadway musical, The Color Purple. In her “Last Call Before the Wrecking Ball” greatest hits concert at Mumford High, Allee will tell stories about how the songs were written and talk about her love for Detroit while the school choir, marching band, ROTC drill team, and students from the dance and drama classes perform her songs. Tickets are only $5 and the performance benefits the Mumford Concert Choir.
Michigan Pinball Expo
- 100+ Pinball and Video games Freeplay/No quarters One low admission price Home of the Michigan Pinball Championships $15,000 in cash and prizes Tournaments for all skill levels! A, B, Novice, Womens, classics, Pin-Golf, Hardcore 64, Pinbrawl XI 3 days of FREE Kids Tournaments with trophies and prizes! MANY Vendors selling pinball machines and pinball related items. WIN a brand new Wizard of Oz Pinball Machine! Guest Speakers including: Jack Guarnieri: President of Jersey Jack Pinball Gary Stern: President of Stern Pinball, inc. Limited discounted pre-sale tickets online now! Web: www.MiPinball.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/Michigan Pinball Expo
- —Guest Michigan Pinball Expo
Dawn Farm Third Annual Ride for Recovery
- The Ride for Recovery is a family fun and fitness event and a fundraiser for Dawn Farm. There will be bike rides, runs and walks with opportunities to participate at any fitness level. Registration includes a Ride for Recovery T-shirt and a "Fun Day at the Farm" event for all riders/runners/walkers and their families – food, hayrides, tours of the working farm, kid's activities in the Dawn Farm Community Barn, and more! We'll have a "Recovery Celebration" (with hot food!) from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. All rides, jogs, and walks start and end at Dawn Farm in Ypsilanti. The event is supported by Team MANA, a cycling team of nurse anesthetists in Michigan who fundraise though biking. In addition to a fun event that the entire family can enjoy, the Ride for Recovery provides an opportunity to support a critical community service. Founded in 1973, Dawn Farm provides effective, compassionate and hope-filled professional care to members of our community who struggle with alcohol/other drug prob
Easter Bunny Photos at Sanders Candy
- Easter Bunny Photos at Sanders & Morley Chocolate Factory! Dates: Sat & Sun April 16th & 17th Time: 12n-4p both days Location: 23770 Hall Rd. Clinton Twp., MI 48036 On Hall Rd. Between Gratiot & Groesbeck at the Chocolate Factory Price: 1x FREE Professional Photo per family with a $5 purchase in the Candy Store. Start your Easter Candy shopping at Sanders! Buy MI Made, since 1875.
- —Guest Tiffany V
Food Tours around Detroit
- Looking for something food related and different? I just took a “walking food tour" of Royal Oak with Culinary Escapes. Fun, educational, professional and lots of food. They also have periodic culinary events and year-round "restaurant geocaching". www.culinary-escapes.com
- —Guest Food Explorer