From the article: Metro Detroit Events and Things to Do in May, 2013
If you know of an event that is not already listed, add information about it here. Share Your Event
Michigan Fun Fest
- With summer quickly approaching, prepare to soak up some stellar entertainment at the fifth-annual Michigan Fun Fest presented by St. Mary’s Orthodox Church in Livonia. The event will take place at Bryant Park (18000 Merriman Road, Livonia), May 30-June 2, 2013. The cultural celebration is free to the public and will include many types of entertainment for all ages. The four-day festival includes live music across several genres, face painting, tunes spun by 98.7 AMP Radio, thrilling carnival rides from Playworld Amusements, video game tent for the kids, an outdoor casino, and multicultural food booths. http://michiganfunfest.com/
- —Guest Kplatto
Up in the Aether
- Up in the Aether is a Steampunk Convention, a subgenre of scifi, where victorian england meets the industrial revolution. We have 150+ hours of programming planned with bands, DJ's, a rave, workshops on building metal roses, computer games, costuming workshops, and so much more. This is a family friendly event with each programming event running 90 minutes you can show up any time! - www.upintheaether.com 5/24-5/26
- —Guest Up in the Aether
Colored Pencil Workshop
- This will be an all day workshop on May 18, 2013 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. The price is $85 and will include lunch and all the materials you will need. This is a beginners workshop stressing the importance of colored pencil techniques. No experience is necessary. We will experiment with several different exercises and try different papers. These experiments will prepare you to finish a small drawing. This workshop will be held at Gail's Lighthouse Cards in Clawson, Michigan. To register please contact Gail at email@example.com
A Perfect Armenian Book Signing
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 1, 2013 Hagopian World of Rugs 850 S. Old Woodward Avenue (north of East Lincoln street) Birmingham, MI, 48009 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm RSVP: Call 248.851.4645
- —Guest A Perfect Armenian Book Signing
Lemonade Day Detroit
- June 8 all day Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties Children pre-K to grade 12 Contact: Emily Paraskevin 586.219.4014 detroit.lemonadeday.org Lemonade Day is a free, fun, experiential learning program that teaches children from preschool to 18 years old how to start, own and operate their own business – a lemonade stand. Presented by Huntington Bank, Lemonade Day Detroit is in its third year of teaching local children how to start, own and operate a business through the act of running a lemonade stand in Metro Detroit. Register online at detroit.lemonadeday.org, or register and pick up backpacks at our Lemonade Day Detroit Strategic Partners’ locations and at Art Van stores.
- —Guest LemonadeDay
Lemonade Day Detroit Workshop
- May 4, 1-4 p.m. Second Ebenezer Church 14601 Dequindre Road (I-75 at East McNichols) Detroit, Mich. 48212 Contact: Emily Paraskevin 586.219.4014 http://detroit.lemonadeday.org/events/ This free event is to help young entrepreneurs and their caring adults prepare for Lemonade Day Detroit, presented by Huntington Bank June 8. Lemonade Day is a free, fun, experiential learning program that teaches children from preschool to 18 years old how to start, own and operate their own business – a lemonade stand. It doesn’t matter if children participated last year, are first-timers, or have not registered. Stop by anytime between 1-4 p.m. to receive tips and learn what Lemonade Day Detroit is all about!
Tails & Trails Dog Walk
- Come to the third annual Tails & Trails Dog Walk Fundraiser on May 4th, 2013! All proceeds go to the animals at Paws-N-Claws Rescue. Hosted by Groves High School. For more information and to register, visit http://grovesaiar.blogspot.com/p/dog-walk-registration-participant.html
- —Guest Lucy M
Dance Meditation by Imagine Do
- You know that dancer you saw once who blew your mind? Guess what, that dance is in you… only better – the dance inside of you is Yours. It’s time to find it and have fun! Dance Meditation is an evening of dancing, food, painting and live music! This is not your average dance party though. This event is a chance for you to go for it and do your own thing - no one is watching and the music is irresistible! Visit the website for more details http://imaginedotv.com/portfolio/dance-meditation-2/
The Dertoit Derby Girls Present:
- The Dertoit Derby Girls Present: 2012 Season Grudge Match, May 19 The Masonic Temple Detroit, MI See one of the final games of the Detroit Derby Girls' 2012 Season! The Grudge Match pits the current third and fourth place teams against each other for what promises to be an exciting bout! Doors open at 6 p.m., bout starts at 7. Up to two children under 12 admitted free with each adult admission. Kid Friendly: Yes! Dog Friendly: No Non-Smoking: Yes! Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!
The Detroit Derby Girls present:
- The Detroit Derby Girls present: The Detroit Pistoffs v. The Grand Prix Madonnas The Masonic Temple Detroit, MI See the Detroit Derby Girls in action as The Detroit Pistoffs take on the Grand Prix Madonnas on Saturday, May 5 at the Detroit Masonic Temple. All tickets $15, up to two children under 12 admitted free with each adult admission. Doors open at 6 p.m., bout starts at 7. Kid Friendly: Yes! Dog Friendly: No Non-Smoking: Yes! Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!
epiphany glass SPRING open studio
- epiphany glass studio in Pontiac will host its annual Spring open studio on Saturday, May 5 and Sunday May 6 from 12pm to 6pm. The family friendly event will feature live glassblowing demonstrations by glass artist and owner April Wagner, as well as the introduction of pieces from the new StudioE line of affordable and functional gift items. Looking for a Mother's Day Gift - make a glass flower for Mom with the artist (cost $50). Also available will be handblown glass ornaments, colorful paperweights, contemporary decanters and more prices from $36 and up. The studio is located 1/4 mile east of the intersection of Telegraph/Old Telegraph and Orchard Lake Rd. The building is situated on the corner of Orchard Lake and Sylvan.
Dreams by Desgin Gala and Auction
- Title: Dreams by Desgin Gala and Auction Charity event supporting veterans and people with disabilites. Friday, May 20, 6pm, Sheraton Ann Arbor. There will be some wonderful auction items, a University of Michigan Stadium Luxury Suite for the first game of the season (against Western Michigan University), a Kayaking Adventure down the River Raisin, and always fun MAP's themed baskets are yours for the bidding. Event website: http://tinyurl.com/MAP-LUAU Michigan Ability Partners (MAP) is a private non profit 501(c)3 agency that has created opportunities for persons with disabilities and veterans in Southeastern Michigan for 26 years. All services at MAP are aimed at assisting people with disabilities to maximize their ability to live a fulfilling live in the community.
- —Guest ConniePopp
St. Mary's Polish Country Fair
- Save the Date! Summer Starts Here! ST. MARY’S POLISH COUNTRY FAIR IS MEMORIAL WEEKEND The 40TH annual Polish Country Fair, will once again be held on the picturesque campus of St. Mary’s Prep, on May 27-30th,. Now the largest Country Fair in the state, the OLSM Country Fair marks the traditional start of summer for Michiganders. With entertainment, food and affordable fun, the Fair delivers a Memorial Day weekend “Stay-cation Get-Away” for over 110,000 Michiganders of all ages annually. Unlike major theme parks, the Fair requires no entrance fee while delivering fun for young and old alike. “It is hard to believe, but this year marks the 40th anniversary of the Fair and it has truly become a tradition that marks the start of the summer season in Michigan. We call our Polish Country Fair a “Stay-cation Get-Away” because we try and provide a backyard get together that eliminates the road rage, long drives and expensive gas associated with going to Northern Michigan with a great en
Dreams by Desgin Gala and Auction
- Charity event supporting veterans and people with disabilites. Friday, May 20, 6pm, Sheraton Ann Arbor. There will be some wonderful auction items, a University of Michigan Stadium Luxury Suite for the first game of the season (against Western Michigan University), a Kayaking Adventure down the River Raisin, and always fun MAP's themed baskets are yours for the bidding. Event website: http://tinyurl.com/MAP-LUAU Michigan Ability Partners (MAP) is a private non profit 501(c)3 agency that has created opportunities for persons with disabilities and veterans in Southeastern Michigan for 26 years. All services at MAP are aimed at assisting people with disabilities to maximize their ability to live a fulfilling live in the community.
Grand Opening of The Lake House
- Join us on May 1, from 3 pm to 6 pm for the grand opening of a new cancer support community at 26701 Little Mack, St. Clair Shores. Anyone touched by cancer can join our support groups, yoga classes, creative arts workshops and lectures.
- —Guest lauraortiz
Dawn Farm Second Annual Ride for Recover
- The Ride for Recovery is a family fun and fitness event and a fundraiser for Dawn Farm. There will be bike rides, runs and walks with opportunities to participate at any fitness level. Registration includes “Fun Day at the Farm” for riders/runners/walkers and their families – food, hayrides, tours of the working farm, kid’s activities in the Dawn Farm Community Barn, and more! We’ll have a “Recovery Celebration” (with hot food!) from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm. All rides, jogs, and walks start and end at Dawn Farm in Ypsilanti. Helmets are mandatory for all riders! The event is supported by Team MANA, a cycling team of nurse anesthetists in Michigan who fundraise though biking. In addition to a fun event that the entire family can enjoy, the Ride for Recovery provides an opportunity to support a critical community service. Founded in 1973, Dawn Farm provides effective, compassionate and hope-filled professional care to members of our community who struggle with alcohol/other drug probl
Victorian Tea Luncheon & Silent Auction
- May 8, 2010 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. The Dearborn Inn, A Marriot Hotel 20301 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI Adults $55, Children $30 RSVP via email(firstname.lastname@example.org)or by phone 586-776-3900. The American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA) is joining the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office on Women’s Health in celebrating National Women’s Health Week. On the Saturday before Mother’s Day, May 8, 2010, AARDA will hold a Victorian Tea Luncheon at the historic Dearborn Inn: A Marriott Hotel where women in the community will be able to enjoy an afternoon of historic gentility with an elegant tea luncheon, silent auction, and performance by a Victorian dance troupe, the Pleasant Moments Vintage Dancers. Participants will celebrate the women in their lives while supporting research, awareness, and education of autoimmune disase, category which affects more than 30 million women in the United States alone and targets women 75 percent more often than men